Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On the go? There's an app for that!

I just recently purchased my first "smart phone" (an iPhone).  I was very familiar with what the iPhone could do and how it worked because of my experience with iPod Touches and iPads.  However, I was not sure how much use I would get from its "smart" capabilities- would I end up with just an expensive cell phone?  I am on my computer quite a bit during the work day and have always felt about as "connected" as one could be.  To my surprise I have found myself opting for the smart phone in many cases before my computer, especially when I am on the move or want to accomplish something simple and quick (i.e. email).

The advantage the smartphone has over the computer is that it is very mobile while always being connected.  I often write my blog posts while I have a few extra minutes going from here to there using an app called Blog Press.  It cost $2.99 on iTunes.  It makes blogging more spontaneous.  Rather than making mental notes of what I want to blog about when I get to my computer, I can actually write a few lines and post it or save a draft for later (Blog Press allows me to save the drafts online so I can finish on my computer if I want).  I also really like blogging on the smart phone because I can access pictures I have taken with the phone's camera quickly and easily (no having to connect to a computer, download the images, etc.).    

I have also been following all of my favorite blogs, including those of the Technology Challenge participants, using an app called Feeddler.  It is synced with my Google Reader account.  Feeddler is free on iTunes.    




Another of my favorite apps of late is iMapMyRun (there is also an iMapMyRide for bicyclists).  I downloaded this app for a recent trip to Chicago so I could log the distance and time of my daily runs (also to rescue me if I got lost!).  I have used the Map My Run web site a lot for the last few years.  The web site allows you to click the points of your run on a Google map.  It calculates the distance for you.  The app uses the GPS capabilities of the phone to automatically record the points of your run on a map, calculating your distance, speed, etc.  You can also choose to see the elevation of your run, calories burned, and other statistics.  In terms of education, I think the app and web site can be integrated in physical education, mathematics, geography, and other courses. 

Smartphone users, what are your favorite apps?

No comments:

Post a Comment